Saturday, January 31, 2009

Word to the Wise: Steel-Cut Oats Can Go Rancid

As you might recall, a few weeks ago I posted about the preponderance of steel-cut oats I discovered in our kitchen cabinet.

This morning I thought that I should use some of these oats, so I made myself some nice oatmeal with the John McCann steel-cut irish oats (the ones that come in a metal can). If you have ever made steel-cut oatmeal, you'll know that it's a much longer process than usual oatmeal. You can't make them in the microwave. You must boil 4 cups of water, add 1 cup of oats, and stir until they start to thicken...and then simmer for 30 minutes.

When I took the oats out, I thought I detected a slightly rancid odor, but I thought it was probably my imagination or the can. I was wrong.

After eating a whole bowl of oatmeal that didn't taste quite right, I googled "steel cut oats rancid," and sure enough, discovered that they can indeed go rancid!!

There was no expiration date on the tin, so who would have known? But obviously, we have had them for a long time--they are such a hassle to make, plus they were buried back behind all the vases and I forgot we even had them!

Most web sites advise keeping steel-cut oats in the refrigerator to prevent this from occurring. Already, we keep our flour in the fridge (to prevent mealy bugs), so I guess this will free up more cabinet space! And yuck--I think I need to go eat something else to get rid of that taste!! They weren't inedible (and I had put pieces of chrystallized ginger and dried apricots in them, so they masked the flavor somewhat), but the knowledge that I ate rancid oatmeal bothers me more than anything!

12 comments:

  1. Found my unopened steel cut oats to be rancid today. Bummer. No mistaking the smell, though. I even cooked them, and tasted them. Rancid. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had some almonds go rancid recently in my cupboard. I mixed up batter for eggnog almond bread, and I thought it smelled funny. Then I sampled it and realized that they were indeed rancid! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad this was searchable by Google because I was in the process of cooking some brand new oats for my children, even though I thought they smelled like oil gone bad. I decided to double check online! I wonder why the cans don't have an expiration date. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found it helpful! Yes, I think the cans should note that they should be kept in the refrigerator, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too could not find an expiration date on the bottom of my can. I emailed the company, and was told this:

    "The 6-digit code you provided indicates this was manufactured by the company that previously owned the McCann's brand. Because Sturm Foods purchased the McCann's brand and implemented our coding system in 2008, the product you have has definitely expired."

    They also said:
    "The natural oils inside the oats will begin to spoil, and this will cause a rancid smell/taste which will render the product inedible."

    Mine had gone rancid too. It smelled like old oil.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment. It's amazing how many things can go rancid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been mixing large flacked oats with Red Mill Old fashioned Steel Cut Oats in a large glass jar.
    I cook the porridge for 10 minutes and let it sit after adding either raisins or blue berries along with a few chunks of tofu , a bit of apple and banana.After it has sat for 1/2 - 1 hour I add soy milk and warn it up in the microwave . Once heated I add a small amount of flax seed.
    The other day I could smell a terrible odour coming from the jar . I washed it out and put the oatmeal mix back in . The odour was still there.
    I asked a druggist if she would lookat the jarand oatmeal . I approached the grocery store and was told oatmeal has no odour.

    I'm glad the word rancid came to me as you have now answerd the source of the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cleaned out pantry today and found 2 cans of steel cut oats VERY rancid. You will never forget the smell of rancid once you have smelled it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Steel cut oats cook up very fast if you soak them in water for 12 to 24 hours first. This also neutralized enzyme inhibitors naturally found on grain seeds that make them difficult to digest. Adding either yogurt or whey or apple cider vinegar greatly increases the digestion and nutrition

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not detect an odor, but saw a green tinge to the "foam" as it was cooking. A repeat using the same package resulted in identical green foam. A fresh bag solved the problem. Now it will be stored in the fridge.
    Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barf! I am about five bites into a large batch of McCanns I just spent 45 minutes making with all kinds of dried fruit and milk butter and brown sugar all to waste. I was hoping the smell that was coming from the pot would go away once they were done cooking. (It's been a couple yrs since I made them last, and I didn't remember well enough what they smelled like during cooking to be sure something was amiss). But the sharp and moderately vile taste made me google and thankfully there is always an answer on the web..

    ReplyDelete
  12. What u wrote about is exactly what happened to me this morning. I didn't eat the whole bowl but spent the 45 minutes peeping and cooking . Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete