Thursday, January 8, 2009

Last Night, the Drawer Under the Stove and an Appliance Drawer!

As I was on my hands and knees, scrubbing the gunk from underneath the stove last night, I said to my mother-in-law (who was observing from the next room), "This is what people pay housecleaners to do!!!" However, (1) after reading Nickel and Dimed, I can't bear to hire a housecleaner, (2) I'm too cheap to pay for one!, (3) most people I know who do hire housecleaners are not very happy with them, and I've heard a number of horror stories!, and (4) I would not have the wonderful sense of satisfaction that comes from cleaning, if I had someone do it for me!

But. Those types of tasks need to be done more often.

As does cleaning out my drawers regularly. Last night I tackled a drawer that contained the blender, coffee grinder, food scale, cheese graters, tons of cookie cutters, and various sundry appliances and gadgets. Many items went in my Goodwill bag, and others into the garbage. The many cookie cutters will get sorted through and moved downstairs to basement storage, since we use them only once or twice a year.

I do believe that this drawer might never have been cleaned out and scoured since we moved into the house 9 years ago!!! Oh my! Talk about skeletons in my closet!

The best part of last night's activities? I found the toast soldier cutting device Mike's mum had given us a few years ago...and Mike had been looking for it! ("Perfect Soldiers")

Never heard of toast soldiers? Read here and here.



Personally, I HATE runny eggs. So I never use it. I like my eggs poached, scrambled with salsa, in an omelet or frittata, or in egg salad or deviled eggs. And only when I'm in the proper mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment