- Americans throw away 25% more trash between Thanksgiving and New Years Day? That adds up to an additional 1 million tons a week going to the landfills.
- December 24 and 25 generate 3 billion extra tons of garbage each year. Gift wrap and shopping bags generate 4 million tons of trash annually, and most are not recyclable.
- Half of the paper consumed in the U.S. is for wrapping and decorating consumer products.
- The 2.65 million holiday cards sold each year in the U.S. could fill a football field 10 stories high.
- At least 28 billion pounds of edible food are wasted each year (over 100 pounds per person).
- About 40% of all batteries are sold during the holidays.
Produce less waste while entertaining. Send leftover food home with guests or donate to a shelter. Set up recycling stations at holiday events. Use cloth napkins and durable goods instead of paper and plastic. Offer water in pitchers rather than bottled water. Serve locally grown, sustainable foods.