Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Continuing Thesaurus Saga...

Okay, I misspoke. Apparently we have NO LESS THAN THREE thesauruses!! And I have to give my dear hubby a huge round of applause, because he has decided that the one I hadn't noticed, the Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus, is the best of them all and has everything he needs...in one book! Glory hallelujah!!

He has also agreed to shed ALL of our Japanese language books plus quite a few of his many writers' books too. This is fun!! Now we will have two fiction bookcases and two nonfiction bookcases...very roughly organized into categories, when it makes sense.

These are just for adult books, of course...then we have the children's books upstairs in their rooms!

3 comments:

  1. Books...my downfall (not a bad one though.) Shane went through the bookcases will little pieces of paper counting all our (99% mine) books....662. Not counting Beau's books or the books I have to stack behind books because I'm out of shelf space, or the books on my bedside table. I periodically try to go through them and weed out the ones I don't want anymore, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of any.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's an idea!! I once counted Mike's writing books, as part of a quiz about him for a party in his honor...and no one guessed high enough. Do you use paperbackswap.com? I have been posting tons of books there, and even really obscure ones, such as one we've had for 13 years about the arts and crafts of Oaxaca, get requested. I now have about 20 credits for books on the site, yet I'm finding myself not too tempted to acquire new books at the moment because of my organization attempts, you know? I suspect we might have more than 662, but who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds suspiciously like my husband's dictionary obsession. Though I don't think it's quite as bad as the thesaurus issue. Our computer monitor sits on "The Compact Oxford English Dictionary" (with print so small you need a magnifying glass to read) so at least his books are useful.

    ReplyDelete